Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Scones

This is a recipe I recently made. One of my friends was going to a fancy tea party and so she made scones. Though I asked her for her recipe, she has a life and wasn't able to get it to me in time to satisfy my scones Jonesing. So I searched the internet and found a recipe that would work. I tweaked it to my liking and the original recipe can be found here.

I enjoyed the texture. For some reason the juice will turn your batter into a very pale blue, but when it bakes it looks fine. I patted mine down on the counter into about an 8-9 inch diameter circle and used a pizza cutter to make 8 wedges. I wouldn't recommend doing that again as the scones really get big as you'll see in the picture I'll attach. I would recommend either scooping them out like cookies, or rolling them slightly and cutting into squares. You can also sprinkle some sugar over the dough before you bake it, I did. :D


Preheat oven to 400

INGREDIENTS

1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
8 T. butter, cubed
Bag of chocolate chips
1/2 c. cranberry juice

DIRECTIONS

Place all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips and cranberry juice in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender (or forks) combine the ingredients until it resembles crumbs. Mix in the chocolate chips. Stir in the juice. From here you can either scoop out bits of the dough onto a greased cookie sheet or place the dough onto a lightly floured surface, pat out and cut. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Place onto wire rack and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment